River of Life Orphanage and Creche
This Project currently focuses on feeding the children and supplying basic essentials such as clothes, shoes, and housing. But seeing as that is not all that a child needs, we are expanding our project to include such things as early learning, assistance with homework, group skills training such as sports and carpentry, as well as one-on-one personal development of each child.
Upgrading of the creche facilities is also on the books for 2011. We hope to provide a new playground, study/play rooms, sleeping facilities for babies, and improve the overall condition of the Creche. We want to be able to supply the needs of the children attending by giving them all they deserve to become productive well adjusted individuals.
Areas that your help as a volunteer would be needed for this project:
- Baby care
- providing care, love, and fun for the children
- organizing activities and games for the children
- arts and crafts and creative learning
- helping to teach the children simple English, maths and basic life skills
- making teaching aids
- sustainable vegetable growing and gardening
- property maintenance (plumbing, repairs, painting, building, electrical work, carpentry, etc)
Clinic Assistance and Feeding Scheme
With an informal settlement of 1,000,000 people, the local clinic is in high demand and under continuous pressure to supply both clinical help as well as home based care.
In this project our volunteers are given a basic AIDS awareness course and a Home Care course to facilitate them during their stay.
With weekly donations of bread delivered to the clinic, local volunteers run a soup kitchen to give food parcels to the patients that need to eat when taking medication, as well as the elderly and others in dire need.
Areas that your help is needed for this project:
- Daily assistance with food handouts to patients and elderly persons
- Daily home care assistance. This includes helping with medication and food delivery to house bound patients and insuring that the medication is taken.